Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ari Murukku


The first time when I made this, I couldn’t believe that I did it. I just had a vague idea on how to roll it and somehow mine came in shapeJ.  I remember my grandmother making this but may be only once or twice.  I remember, she did make us few letters to write our names and also various other shapes whatever we had asked her to.  I too wanted to try out some letters, but didn’t do it for some reason. May be next time J

Now that I got a better click, let me change the profile pic of my murukku J J  But I was lazy to make spiral ones from then.


Murukku 7

Ingredients:
 
Rice flour                                --   1 cup
Urad flour                               --   ½ cup
Besan flour                             --   ¼ cup
Red chilly powder                  --   1 tbsp
Asafoetida                              --   ¼ tsp
Sesame seeds                         --   2 tbsp
Cumin seeds                          --   1 tbsp
Butter                                    --   1 tbsp
Oil                                        --    to deep fry
Salt                                       --    to taste
Water                                   --    as required
 
This measurement yields around 15-20 medium sized Murukku.
           
Preparation of the Murukku:

Mix the rice flour, urad flour, besan flour, salt, red chilly powder, asafoetida, sesame seeds and cumin seeds. Steam the mixture. I did it using a muslin cloth placed inside a steamer.


Let it cool. Add in the butter and mix well. Add warm water little by little until you get a smooth dough.

Heat oil in a pan for frying.

Fill the Murukku mould with the dough and press through the star shaped place onto a foil paper/parchment paper. Let it fall on the paper in a spiral shape.


When the oil is sufficiently hot, wet your hands and carefully take the Murukku and drop it into the pan. Fry until they attain the brown colour. Drain on a paper towel and let it cool before you store in an air tight container.
That’s a wonderful crispy tea time snack.
Next  time I was lazy to make it in circles and so piped it directly in to the oil. See how that looks.
Murukku 7

27 comments:

  1. Beautifully done.. they are so perfect.. cannot believe u made this for first time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nitha..you made it perfect dear.looks soo good. kidu tea time ay, murukkum koode kittiyenkil adipoli ayene

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. nits really delicious one.. perfectly done..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Looks so good, you have done it perfectly Nita, thank you for your sweet comments in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i see a lot of murukku recipes on blogs...wonder why:)
    i agree its an awesome tea time snack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...i made this one twice now...but by grinding raw rice...almost same ingredients.....the flavour was superb, texture not as crunchy as we get from stores,,...so have to try differnt rice befo reposting the recipe..:)....Nice pics btw....u too have loads fo patiennce....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! prefect muruku.Luks fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding chilli powder in muruku? First time I see...feel like grabbing some now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time here.Nice murukku.

    ReplyDelete
  10. crispy n crunchy snack...loved d tempting clicks da

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful presentation. Its very appealing and I am gonna try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made it for the first time and u got it so perfect ????? Grrr Why God hasnt give me such hands to me :( ... Hey u dint tell how much butter should be added ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crispy murukkus makes me drool, wat a prefectly shaped murukku..looks fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nitha, murukku looks very yummy. I too made quite a large quantity yesterday for a friend of mine who is pregnant. I am enjoying these with a hot cup of tea..

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOw looks perfect!!Lovely collection of beautiful dishes u have.Do visit mine when time permits.. http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks everyone for ur sweet comments...
    @Pavithra: I added 1 tbsp of butter. Not sure how I forgot to add that in the ingredients list. Thanks for pointing it out. I have updated the post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey it has come out very well.....really mouth watering

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love crunchy munchies... nd this one ne time :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nitha,

    Nice murukku. Perfect shape. I love this crunchies with my tea. You nice space. Following you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful dear..simply love these crunchy and delicious tea time snack.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are so perfect .. crunchy and tasty.. Nice clicks and really interesting blog..Do drop in at my space sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very beautiful and looks crunchy dear, perfect!

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect and delicious arimurrukku..Great job, Nitha..

    ReplyDelete